Fancy a lovely new season accessory? These fun headbands will help you keep cool this summer.
Here’s how to make yours…
You will need:
1 fat quarter of cotton
8cm of approx 1.5/2cm wide elastic
Your printed paper pattern – Download your free PDF pattern here
Sewing machine/hand sewing needle
Knitting needle, point turner or other poking device!
Large safety pin
Cutting your fabric:
In cotton fabric-
- cut 4 of piece A
- cut 1 of piece B
To make up your headband:
- Place 2 of piece A with right sides together and stitch a 1cm seam around the 2 curved sides leaving the shorter end open. Back stitch at the start and finish and pivot at the dot as marked on the pattern
Repeat with the other 2 panels
2. Snip off the corners and turn the headband pieces through to the right side. Push out the point. Stitch across the open ends to baste them together.
3. Create a box pleat at the raw edge by folding the notches in towards the center notch. Tack this in place.
4. Fold piece B in half with right sides together. Stitch with a 1 cm seam. Turn the right way out using the safety pin.
5. Stitch the elastic to the box pleated panels as shown below
6. Pop a safety pin in one pointed end and push this through the piece B tube. Pull through until the tube covers the elastic. Roll the raw edges of the tube in to hide them and encase the box pleated ends.
7. Stitch close to the joining edge of the tube and box pleat
wrap around your head, tie a knot and enjoy your fab new accessory!
I had a fun afternoon making these for the Crafty team! Here’s Rebekah looking very cute in hers.
We’d love to see your too! Share them with us on our Facebook page.
All materials are available in store at Crafty Sew&So